Source: http://www.un.org/peace/kosovo/news/kosovo2.htm#Anchor54
Accessed 06/06/2000

Spate of killings of Kosovo Serbs continues


JUNE 2 -- An "extremely disturbing" spate of killings of Kosovo Serbs continued with the murder this morning of two men when the car they were in was blown up by a landmine, according to a UN spokeswoman in Pristina.

A mother and two children were also in the car, and are in hospital being treated for injuries, according to Susan Manuel, spokeswoman for the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK). The incident occurred before 8 a.m. in Ugorevo, south-west of Pristina, on a road connecting Serb villages, which had previously been cleared of landmines, the spokeswoman said.

In the Gnjilane region, yesterday, one Kosovar Serb woman was shot dead, and two men critically injured in a drive-by shooting while they were working in a field. Also, two Serb houses in Obilic were attacked with hand grenades last night injuring one man, and an elderly Serb woman was run over by a speeding Albanian motorist who was later arrested, Ms. Manuel said.

The latest attacks have come in the wake of the murder, Wednesday, of Milutin Trajkovic, who was killed in another drive-by shooting at Babin Most, and which led to violent protests in the area. On Sunday, three Serbs, including a 4-year-old boy, were killed in another drive-by shooting.

Ms. Manuel described the killings as "cold blooded," and said they appeared to make no distinction between men, women or children.

Document compiled by Dr S D Stein
Last update 06/06/2000
Stuart.Stein@uwe.ac.uk
ęS D Stein

ESS Home Page
Kosovo Index Page

Holocaust Index Page
Genocide Index Page